Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

ice cream fever

Last month I decided that I'd (foolishly) try to eat every single flavour of ice cream from The Kawartha Dairy - what's a summer without a few crazy goals, right? And if the summer goal involves ice cream - even better!

Since we're spending a lot of weekends up near Bobcaygeon, I figured it wouldn't be too hard to expand my ice cream eating horizons (Kawartha Dairy's head office is there). In the past we always ordered the same things from there - a Bordeaux Cherry scoop for me and a Chocolate milkshake for Paul. To be fair, their Bordeaux Cherry rocks and you actually see them scoop up the Chocolate ice cream to make their thick and creamy milkshakes...yummm...but there were so many other flavours on the menu and I had never tried any of them!

Technically, they do give out samples. If you ask for a "taste", they'll kindly give you a small spoonful of any flavour, but I think that's cheating. So, in order for it to count, I (or someone I know that will let me try from their cup/cone) needs to order and pay for the ice cream.


This past weekend, my initiation into the Kawartha Dairy menu board got off to a bang with FIVE flavours knocked off the list! Yes, FIVE! How did I manage that many flavours with just one trip? Well, I grabbed a double-scoop and then Paul, my brother-in-law and my future sister-in-law all gamely ordered different flavours so I could sample theirs as well. I'm glad I can always count on family to support my off-the-wall food urges.

My double-scoop (or, as Kawartha Dairy calls it, a "small") consisted of Wolf Paws (on the bottom) - "vanilla ice cream with chocolate butter fudge and soft brownie pieces" and Bear Claw - "a dark chocolate ice cream filled with chocolate coated cashews and swirled with luscious golden caramel". Both were really good, although I preferred the Bear Claw with its crunchy chocolate-coated nuts over the soft-brownie pieces in the Wolf Paws. Normally, I love brownies, but these pieces were a little too soft so they were more like chocolate "blobs" than brownies. Still, I wasn't disappointed in either scoop!


Paul (who still ordered his usual chocolate milkshake) surprised me by ordering Cotton Candy - "pink cotton candy flavoured ice cream with a blue ribbon twirl". It was sweet, but tasted a little more like bubble gum than cotton candy. Once in a while, Paul said he got a hit of cotton candy flavour, but the spoonfuls I had didn't really make me think of the light, fluffy carnival treat.


My brother-in-law ordered his favourite, Moose Tracks - "vanilla ice cream with chocolate peanut butter cups swirled with Moose Tracks fudge". Even though it's pretty much all he ever orders, it was new to me. Similar to the Wolf Paws that I had, but instead of brownies, this had peanut butter cups, which is a pretty amazing combination. The flavour of the chocolate and peanut butter was nice and strong and went really well with the vanilla ice cream. Definitely a flavour to get again, or as my BIL declared (even though he's had it many, many times before), "It's delicious!" before he  made plans to go to Costco the next day to buy a pint of it.


Chocolate was definitely the overwhelming theme of the day as my future sister-in-law tried a scoop of Death by Chocolate - "chocolate ice cream with bittersweet dark chocolate chunks and thick chocolate twister sauce". A definite go-to choice for chocoholics, this one is all about chocolate. It was probably the least sweetest of the five flavours we had, but it had a nice, solid chocolate flavour and is definitely a good choice if you want something a little bit more complex than the plain chocolate flavour.



I'm already planning what to get next time (I'm leaning towards Muskoka Mocha and unLOCKED and loaded), but what about you? Have you tried any Kawartha Dairy ice cream? Tell me your favourites or do you see something on the Flavour List that you think I should try next?

1 comment:

  1. Wow so many kinds of ice cream here. All the flavors look delicious. I'm usually the one who can't make a decision. If it's ice cream, it's even harder! I need to figure out what to make at home next... :-) Enjoy the ice cream!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for a leaving comment - I love hearing from my readers!