Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

Flickr Frolic Fridays

In an attempt to kick-start a habit of regular blog posting, I'm introducing "Flickr Frolic Fridays" (try saying THAT three times fast). Every Friday I'm going to randomly pick 3 photos from my Flickr Stream and share them here with a quick discussion about what's going on with the photo.

I know that there's LOTS of improvement needed in my food photography skills but that's what this blog is all about - a journey into becoming a better cook and a more educated foodie.

So I hope you enjoy my random shots as much as I enjoyed taking them.  :)


I have A LOT of books about food. Not just cookbooks (at last count, I was somewhere just past 100) but also books ABOUT food. I read about food way too much for someone who doesn't work in the industry. Actually, I also think I own too many cookbooks for someone who can barely cook.

Which is part of the reason for this blog. I really want to become a better cook (and baker). I want to get more use out of my cookbooks. I want to eat all those amazing foods that I've been reading about. I also want to stop boring my friends and family with irrelevant food facts, but hey - not promising anything on that one!

I'm sure if you're even remotely interested in this little food blog then you are a foodie as well and have a solid food book collection of your own. So...any titles that I must add to my library?


I love this place. The one we go to is in Bobcaygeon, which is a little out of the way from Toronto, but we spend quite a few weekends in the area, so if it's nice, we always make the trip into town and head straight for this dairy.

Found in 1937, Kawartha Dairy is family-owned and now sells in retail outlets as well (my brother-in-law saw a few flavours in Costco recently), but there's something about going to their original location that makes the ice cream taste extra special.

Paul almost always gets a chocolate milkshake (you actually see them scoop chocolate ice cream to make the shakes - yum!) and I tend to stick to one or two ice cream flavours after spending minutes reading their entire menu. But this summer it's going to be different. I'm going to try and taste every single flavour on their menu! Obviously, not all at the same time, but over the course of the summer...after all - a girl's gotta have goals, right?

I'm not sure if we'll even make it to Bobcaygeon enough times this season for me to accomplish this - there are FORTY-SIX flavours at last count (although Paul has gamely stepped up and offered to also order a scoop of ice cream each time we go so I can "try" some of his), but I've already printed up a list of flavours and will be doing my best to cross them all off.

Don't worry - there will be lots of photos of each delicious scoop along the way!


This was my favourite candy growing up. My parents didn't buy it very often, but it was always a treat when they did.

My family always refers to it as White Rabbit candy (in English and in Cantonese), but really, it's a basic milk candy. It's perfect. It's chewy and creamy and not too sweet, which means I can eat tons of this without feeling sick (believe me, I tried this often as a child!). I think what also fascinated me as a kit was the fact that each piece of candy (after you opened up the waxy wrapper) was also wrapped in a very thin layer of rice paper. This was too cool to a five year old. Paper? That I could eat? No way! I still have a habit now of peeling off the rice paper and eating it separately (well, letting it melt on my tongue since there's no real way to "eat" rice paper).

Now that I'm an "adult" my mom almost never buys this anymore, but whenever I visit a Chinese supermarket, I always walk down the candy aisle and get a little excited and nostalgic whenever I see these familiar wrappers.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for a leaving comment - I love hearing from my readers!